21st Century Skills
What Are 21st Century Skills?
"We need to prepare our children to thrive as individuals and to contribute as citizens and leaders in our interconnected, complex and exponentially changing world." - CRPS Inspiring Hearts and Minds
Alberta Education describes learning in the 21st century that will provide students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that will help them become engaged thinkers and ethical citizens with an entrepreneurial spirit. See their website for details.
Dr. Sharon Friesen, a researcher from the Uof C , suggests the use of technology is infused in five core principals that should guide 21st Century teaching and learning:
- Effective teaching practice begins with the thoughtful and intentional design of learning that engages students intellectually and academically.
- The work that students are asked to undertake is worthy of their time and attention, is personally relevant, and deeply connected to the world in which they live.
- Assessment practices are clearly focused on improving student learning and guiding teaching decisions and actions.
- Teachers foster a variety of interdependent relationships in classrooms that promote learning and create a strong culture around learning.
- Teachers improve their practice in the company of peers.
Friesen, S. (2009). What did you do in school today? Teaching Effectiveness: A Framework and. Rubric. Toronto: Canadian Education Association