THIS WEEK AT BCHS
Belonging, Excellence, Accountability, Respect, Safety
September 20-24, 2021
(For archived Newsletters please click here)
Please check our “This Week at BCHS” posted on our website along with an up to date BCHS Events Calendar https://bchs.crps.ca/
We have our Hike Days this upcoming week. Hike day is an important tradition at BCHS . It serves to support the development of a strong sense of community with all members of our school. All students are expected to participate in this event. If there are any concerns with participation in hike day, please contact Mike Shoemaker directly. In order to support social distancing and the transportation of our students we will have hike day on two separate days. Grades 11 and 12 will have hike day on September 21 and grades 9 and 10 will have hike day on Thursday September 23.
Terry Fox Run
Our school based Terry Fox run serves to inspire everyone to get involved and try. The Terry Fox foundation encourages everyone to “Try like Terry.” We will begin raising money for the Terry Fox foundation on Monday September 20, 2021. More information will be shared about how students can contribute to the Terry Fox foundation. Students will learn more about Terry’s legacy and participate in grade based runs on Friday October 1, 2021.
Donations to the Terry Fox can be made virtually here.
We have an enthusiastic group of students that have demonstrated an interest in school leadership. This upcoming week, students will give virtual presentations to the student body to run for the position of student council presidents. We will have a student election this upcoming Friday. Other executive positions will be determined within our student council. The council is open to all grades. Interested students are encouraged to participate.
September 30, 2021 National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
September 30, 2021 will be a day of observance for the Truth and Reconciliation calls to action. TRC #80 states:
“We call upon the federal government in collaboration with Aboriginal peoples to establish as a statutory holiday, a National Day for Truth and Reconciliation to honour Survivors, their families, and communitie, and ensure that public commemoration of the history and legacy of residential schools remains a vital component of the reconciliation process.”
Please see the letter sent from our district that outlines this change to our calendar. Note there will be no school on this day. Our school is also planning a learning opportunity on September 29, 2021 to learn together about Truth and Reconciliation.
We continue to follow the both directives outlined by Alberta Health Services and the Canadian Rockies Reentry plan for 2021/22. Within these plans, families are asked to follow the AHS daily screening checklist for signs and symptoms of COVID. Anyone with COVID symptoms is asked to follow the isolation guidelines as directed by AHS. Please call 811, to inquire with AHS to clarify isolation if you have concerns about your student’s health
This year we have returned to live learning. Please note that we are not using virtual learning this year. Students who are required to stay at home should contact the school to excuse their absences and should contact their classroom teacher for updates on missed work.
Our first parent council meeting will be held virtually on September 20 at 4:15. The link to the meeting can be found here and on our website calendar. This will be both our AGM to wrap up the 2020/21 school year, followed by our regular monthly meeting. Executive positions for the upcoming year will be determined at the AGM.
Please note that this year, our school is scheduled to run a casino at the Blackfoot Inn Calgary. This is an important fundraising event for our school and it supports important school wide initiatives like student transportation, student supports and school wide initiatives like our recent Art Gallery, Learning Commons Beautification and Purkis Hall improvements.
We need your support. We will be looking for a Chairperson to coordinate volunteers, as well as require 30 volunteers over the two days. We will require parent volunteers on Monday, November 15th and Tuesday, November 16th. Typically our school runs a casino event every three years and our last drive brought in over Forty Thousand dollars to our school.
Please note that this initiative will be discussed at our parent meeting. Please attend our council meeting to realize how you can support our school.
Optional Study Guide Purchase - Extended to September 18
Castle Rock, our study guide supplier, has created an online ordering portal to enable families to choose the resources they require. These can be workbooks or an annual digital account. The digital account allows access to up to 10 courses annually. These are optional resources and if you are not sure if your student would benefit from these please speak with your classroom teacher. Orders can be placed between September 1 to September 18, 2021. Another purchase opportunity will be opened in February 2022. Please click here for more information and the ordering link.
CRPS Homestay Program - Hosts needed 2021/2022
Our homestay families are an integral part of the International Student Program. CRPS is now accepting host applications for the Homestay Program for the 2021/2022 school year. Remuneration of $1,025 is paid monthly per student. CRPS has COVID-19 protocols that international students must follow prior to arriving and upon arrival, including a mandatory 14-day quarantine period. For more information please click here.
School fees are not yet finalized; however they will start to appear on Parent Portal as we work on the fees. Payment options and details will be provided when invoiced.
The Week Ahead
Monday September 20, 2021
- 4:15 School Council Virtual Meeting - link here
Tuesday, September 21, 2021
- Hike Day - Grade 11 and 12
Wednesday, September 22, 2021
- 12:30 Student council president presentations
- Immunizations at BCHS for students that have requested them
Thursday, September 23, 2021
- Hike Day - Grade 9 and 10
Friday September 24, 2021
- Student Council President Vote
- Full day of school
- Week of September 27: Truth and Reconciliation Week
- Wednesday September 29: Truth and Reconciliation district and school learning in afternoon
- Thursday September 30: No School National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
- Friday October 1: School based Terry Fox Day
- Thursday October 7: Honours Society Presentations will be held at school during school hours
- Thursday October 28, 2021: Photo Retakes
- Tuesday November 2, 2021: Last day of Quarter 1 classes
Missing important happenings at BCHS, but are awash in emails? Find information through one of the medium listed below. Get connected, become involved.
- Follow us on Facebook (here)
- Join us on Twitter for quick updates. https://twitter.com/bchsbears?lang=en
- Follow us on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/bchs_banff/
- Check out our Daily School Announcements here.
Bow Valley Settlement Services Information and newsletter can now be found here.
Follow the link to view the Highlights from the Public School Board Meetings.
Follow the link to view the agenda for the upcoming Public School Board meeting scheduled for Wednesday, September 22, 2021.
BCHS Bear Tools
- Parents please ensure you can log on to Parent Portal. Look for the PowerSchool Quick Link on our school webpage or click here. This is where you will access daily updates on your student’s marks and attendance, school fees and more. Final term report cards are also shared with you through Parent Portal and are not mailed out from the school.
- Alberta Education has now made student access to their official transcript of marks available to all grade 10- 12 students available through a myPass account (myPass.alberta.ca). Grade 10 marks will first appear after the first semester.
- 2021/2022 Student / Parent Handbook ** coming soon. Find important BCHS dates such as parent/teacher interviews, course change information, exams and much more.
- Some universities are now offering information sessions … Please check with Ms. Piekenbrock for more information.